Thursday, November 6, 2008

Elder Gray's November Up-date











Elder Jordan Gray
P.O. Box 456
Creston South, NL
A0E 1K0
Canada

Hey,Last month I said that I thought that I would be in Summerside for a fourth transfer. Well I was wrong I got transferred after 4 1/2 months there. I got transferred and now I am serving on Newfoundland. I am serving in the Marystown area which covers basically all of the Burin Peninsula. I am also serving as the Branch President here which is pretty crazy. I have been here for almost three weeks now. It is weird to be in charge of running this branch here. Preparing the sacrament meetings and looking after all the tithing and stuff. It is not too big of a branch though. There are about 20 members but we only have a small number active right now. We have been getting an average of 5 people out the 3 weeks I have been here. I am going to have to be doing tithing settlement in about another month which is going to be interesting. It has been quite an experience thus far and will probably get more interesting. Newfoundland is a sweet place. With having to fly here and everything it seems like another mission. The people here are even more friendly for the most part. It can be hard to understand them sometimes with their crazy slang and that. I am getting used to it though. Marystown has about 5,000 people in it but as I said we cover the entire Burin Peninsula. So we go out to the outer areas and work there as well. It is pretty sweet because a lot of the towns are built in coves. We are always right next to the water it seems like. The winters here are pretty harsh from what I have heard. They say a lot of snow. We will see how this one goes. No snow as of yet but it has reached down to 0* C since I have been here. They also have Newfie dogs here that are huge. A less-active couple has one and it weighs 181 lbs. They are monsters. I will get a picture next time we go and visit them. They live in Fortune which is 45 minutes away so we go there every other week usually.All of the hockey we played before the missions is starting to come in handy for me here in Newfoundland. We have been playing ball hockey with the local kids that live next to us. We have been playing 3 on 3 tournaments with them. Some of the kids are really good too. And because of the past playing experience I am not looking stupid. There are no rollerblades though just on foot. The Newfoundlanders and Canadians in general love their hockey. Things here are going really good. I am loving it here and the time is flying. I look forward to getting the newsletter and seeing how all of you are doing. Good luck. -Elder Jordan Gray
I attached a couple of pictures. One of them is Elder Trump and I. He is the missionary I just trained in Summerside, PEI. The other is a picture of the view from the back door of the church here in Marystown.




No comments: