Saturday, October 11, 2008

Elder Sevy

This week we had the baptism of Helen and Heather, whose mom is now fully activated and assimilated into the Branch. The baptism went very well, I played the violin in it, and President Jardine and his wife even came down from Sacramento to see the service. And the fellowship continues to be excellent, as the whole Baptismal Font room was completely filled with members and even some non-member friends.
Some other miraculous things happened this week. So do you remember the story I told of the 21-year-old, Chou, that randomly showed up last week at church? Well, I called him on Thursday (because he's outside of Stockton on weekdays for school). He told me that he had read several chapters and he had a few questions. Among several other chapters in the book, he read the chapter about why baptism was important (2 Nephi 31) and asked, "Could you explain more about that to me?" So I gave him a little mini-lesson over the phone. I soon asked him, "Did you pray about what you read?" He answered that he had prayed, and that he at first struggled to have "true intent" since he hasn't ever really prayed to God, who he can't see, before. But he said, "I prayed and had a feeling that it was right." He already knew that this was true before I called him. So I set a date with him to get baptized, Oct. 12, and he unhesitently accepted, and he's excited and he got to go to the baptism service of Helen and Heather on Sunday. He is awesome and he truly has pure intent and Sophany, our recent (Cambodian) convert, is being an excellent missionary member friend. We taught them on the weekend the Plan of Salvation, and we were surprise that he asked all the right questions like "What God's purpose for me?" It was a very exciting experience, especially when we could testify that God truly does have a plan for him personally because He had miraculously led Chou to the truth that he had been searching for so eagerly. It was so exciting to see such a miracle fall into our laps. Its amazing--God is preparing many people to receive the Restored Gospel.
I'll tell you more later.
Sincerely,
Elder Sevy

No comments: